Celebrate the centennial of the South Orange Train Station

Donate to the Fund for SO Train Station that will be used to revitalize
our historic station

About the Centennial

Join us as we gather to celebrate the heart and lifeblood of South Orange for the last century: our architectural gem of a train station and the rail service that changed our town and this region forever. The net proceeds of the event will benefit the Fund for South Orange Station, a new program that will make aesthetic improvements to our station as it begins its second century of service.

Fund For South Orange Station

Built in 1916 by architect Frank J. Nies, the South Orange Train Station was designed in the Renaissance Revival style and listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. Although an impressive building, the station needs significant improvements and beautification. Funds collected will be used to help revitalize our historic station including: plantings, lighting replacement and installation of art / murals to celebrate our history.

Donate to the Fund

Sponsors

Thank you for your support in making our community the best it could be!
Sponsorships are still available.
Download Sponsorship Info

Title Sponsor

eea

Train Car Sponsor

kwmtd-logo

Conductor Sponsors

the-hub-final

 

symlogo

Realty Management Systems, LLC


conductor-sponsor-affliliated-management


conductor-sponsor-pseg-logo

verizon-logo-web

 

Local Sponsors

local-sponsor-4elbows

local-sponsor-eventage

local-sponsor-peyton-photography


local-sponsor-above-restaurant


local-sponsor-3rd-and-valley


local-sponsor-seton-hall-university


gateway-logo

South Orange Station History

Chronology for the DL & W Railroad Station of South Orange, New Jersey

 

1830 The Eclipse Stage Line operated from this year between Newark and the Mountain House (hotel), South Orange.
 1836  November 19th, Morris and Essex Railroad laid out, for horse-car service between Newark and Orange.
 1837  October 2nd, Morris and Essex Railroad opened the service with one steam engine, operating from Newark to the Summit of the Short Hills. Service extended soon afterwards to Chatham, Madison and Morristown. South Orange became a stop, with a wooden shed as a station.
 1864  Morris & Essex extended its road to Hoboken.
 1888  South Orange station replaced by red stone building. By then, the road was the “D L & W”
 1899  Train first ran on Sundays.
 1916  Tracks were raised above street level in South Orange. Present station was built that year.
1931  Trains were electrified.
 1960  Erie and DL&W merged, as Erie Lackawanna.
 1972  Erie Lackawanna became bankrupt.
1976 Erie Lackawanna taken over by Conrail.
1978 Department of Transportation of New Jersey purchased the railroad line. (N.J. Transit)
1995 Police sub-station opened at Sloan St. Train Station. Station revitalization project began, with improved facilities for new station shops
1996 On June 15, direct rail service started to mid-town Manhattan for riders on Morris & Essex line, cutting travel time from South Orange to less than 30 minutes.

Vector Smart Object
Time table of 1869. There were no Sunday trains until 1899.

Layer 4
The crowded South Orange NJ railroad depot in Station on Morris & Essex Railroad painted about 1864.